Ross County could seek Hibs compensation after Covid hits Premiership clash


Ross County could seek compensation from Hibs as they count the cost of the late postponement of Saturday’s Premiership clash.

The game was called off less than four hours before kick-off after two Hibs stars tested positive for Covid.

But County, who had expected 1400 travelling fans, had already shelled out on food for their hospitality suites and kiosks and other expenditure.

The Dingwall club, on a high after their midweek thrashing of Dundee, refused to confirm whether they would ask for compensation or make an official complaint to the SPFL over the call off.

County also declined to say when they rearranged game would be but if they demanded it be played this week Hibs would have to bolster their ranks with younger players as eight first teamers are believed to be isolating.

Get all the latest Sports news sent straight to your Inbox every day by signing up to our newsletter.

We cover every morsel of information regarding your favourite club in the form of articles, videos and podcasts.

The newsletter will arrive every day at 12pm, giving you a round up of the best stories we’ve covered that in the last 24 hours.

To sign up, simply enter your email address into the link here.

And if you aren’t already, make sure you join the conversation over on our Facebook groups and Record Sport Instagram.

A Ross County statement yesterday said: “We can confirm that we received information from the SPFL that today’s match with Hibernian has been postponed due to a Covid outbreak within the Hibernian team.

“We are extremely disappointed with this situation and apologise to all home and away supporters and staff travelling to this fixture as a result of this decision, which is entirely due to circumstances beyond our control.”

It is understood a Hibs player and a member of their coaching staff tested positive on Monday and Wednesday.

Normally this would be relayed to the club they are due to play at a meeting on Thursday ahead of the match.

Hibs say they followed all guidelines and put in place the usual social distancing precautions before travelling north on Friday.

Two more players tested positive on Saturday morning, sparking the postponement as they were unable to field a team.

A Hibs spokesperson declined to answer queries about what had happened in the build-up, but stressed that the
postponement was an SPFL decision.

They said: “We followed all the Covid protocols prior to this match and once we found out about the positive tests.

“Once we were aware of the tests we made contact with the SPFL and Ross County to discuss the postponement. Once the SPFL received our information, they agreed to postpone the fixture.”

In a separate statement, Hibs said: “Two first-team players have tested positive in the latest round of testing this morning.

“They have been in close contact with a number of other players in the squad that travelled to Dingwall.

“In line with SPFL regulations and guidance, we have no other alternative than to postpone the fixture.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *