Many marketers skip an annual content marketing strategy review. You have a packed schedule. You’re worried about feeding your content pipeline. But instead, you’re ignoring this crucial review.
Remember that your audience, your company and your industry are in flux. Things can and do change faster in our digital world. The most well-written content will fall flat if you don’t have a clear and up-to-date understanding of:
- Why you’re producing content
- Who you’re writing for
- How you help your audience meet their goals
Carve out the time. Go back and review your content strategy. Make sure that the answers to these questions haven’t changed:
- What goals will our content marketing program help us achieve?
- What will success look like?
- How will we measure our success?
- Who is our target audience?
- What will they gain from our content?
- How can we make our content powerful and useful?
- How can we make our content more useful than that of our competitors?
Lastly, don’t forget about your data. Review it, analyze it, slice it and dice it. This deep dive data analysis will help you make better content decisions. It will ensure you’re delivering content that appeals to and motivates your target audience. Here are some places you can farm your data from:
- Google Analytics: Monitor Google Analytics to build and refine your buyer personas.
- Google Search Console: Make sure your content indexes correctly, and fix crawl errors.
- Social analytics: Plan content with social listening data.
- Keywords: Strategize search-engine-optimized (SEO) content with keyword data.